Wednesday 3 August 2016

Arrived safely in Nebbi

Well it's 6pm local time in Nebbi and I am safely in Nebbi after a somewhat epic journey.  Save for the first leg from Guernsey to Gatwick all has gone to plan and on time!

The flights were OK but long though did mean I was able to watch Lady in a Van and Dad's Army as well as a Downton abbey box set!

Tim from VMM was at Entebbe to meet me, so all good there.  The traffic from the airport into Kampala was awful (will post a couple of photos of the roadworks Ugandan style next time!

Anyway 3 hours later (a journey that should take about an hour) we arrived at my base for the night where three other VMM volunteers are for a month.  After a cup of tea and quick shower, we all went out for supper.  I had an excellent fish curry - a welcome change from airline meals!

This morning it was a 5.30am start to beat the traffic to catch my bus from central Kampala to Nebbi.

The bus journey was long but OK with lots to see and I kept myself occupied by listening to an audio book.

Every stop saw the bus enveloped by street traders selling everything from water, pineapples, bananas to wooden stools and live chickens!

 

Amazing scenery and everything is so green and fertile.  The people are also truly welcoming and friendly.  I feel really settled and so pleased that I, to use the words of St. Benedict at the start of his Holy Rule, "Listened to the voice of the Master".

Lala salama from Uganda 😎

No comments:

Post a Comment