Saturday 27 August 2016

Responding to God's Call

Yesterday I posted about my trip to Panyimur for the Ordination Mass of Fathers Aloysuis Oryem and Kenedy Kermu and Deacons James Jacan and Ronald Okweda.  Overnight, I read the Order of Service which rather helpfully includes some biographical details about the four young men and some personal reflections from each of them about the response of God's call to the priesthood.

Each of them comes from what appears to be a typical family and each has experienced the pain of losing a close family member through the death of a parent or sibling. Father Kenedy is from a family of 10 children but sadly 1 of his brothers and 2 of his 3 sisters have died. Father Aloysius is from a family of 14 and his mother has died. Deacon Ronald is the only surviving child of 4 in his family and his mother has also died. Finally, Deacon James has lost both his parents and his 2 siblings.  Despite these losses in their lives, they have not rejected God's love and have responded to His call with great generosity.

Father Aloysius wrote the following piece for the Order of Service,

"The first condition for seeking God is to have found Him. This paradox only emphasises the starting point of our search, the Alpha and Omega of all Christians' experience. Our searching cannot start from zero. "You would not seek me if you had not already found me" wrote Paschal inspired by St. BernardThe desire for God comes only from God Himself and He alone can lead us to search for Him.

God precedes those who search for Him and He shows Himself by letting Himself be found in an absolutely gratuitous way, even by those who were not looking for Him.

To me the journey in this vocation at the beginning was unpromising and cloudy due to external forces that almost overpowered me. The lucrative options search as well paid jobs and taking courses would last for a few years, enjoying myself just like any other secular would do etc.  but now it is clear that Almighty God had a plan for me which He wanted to unveil at the opportune time.  This elevation to Priesthood to me is a starting point to a new life, animated by Christ Himself who instituted the Priesthood.  Therefore my dear brothers and sisters, your prayers, advice, directives, corrections shall be of great help for me in my journey in this ministry that I have chose.

I would love to remember my parents, especially my late mother who initiated me so well in the Christian way of living. May her soul rest in eternal peace. Amen."

Deacon James wrote the following about his call to enter seminary,

"I was in Primary 5 in 1997 (aged 11 years) when Father Aladino Mirandola, my Parish Priest, told me "Jal, inen calo padhiri" ("Young boy, you look like a priest"). That statement disturbed me for a while since I was an orphan worried about who would take care of me during my studying dues, but thank God who is always close to all who call upon Him. From then on my prayer has been "Deus, Fiat voluntas tua." God, let Your will be done). God bless those people who took care of my studies abundantly."

Responding to God's is difficult for all and the call to priesthood in the Catholic Church is especially challenging for the family as his parents know that their son will commit not just to serve God as a priest but to do so leading a celibate life.  They therefore not only offer their son but also the hope of grandchildren in the future.

At home, the cost of studying for the priesthood is largely met by the Diocese sponsoring the candidate and so cost is rarely an issue for the seminarian or his family.  Things are very different here and seminarians rely on their families and parishes making huge financial sacrifices as this letter from the sister of Father Denis clearly shows ...


Please remember all those you are discerning a vocation to the priesthood or religious life, that they may have the courage to say "Yes" to God's call and will be blessed by the support of family and friends...

O Holy Spirit, Spirit of wisdom and divine love, impart Your knowledge, understanding, and counsel to all that they may know the vocation wherein they can bes serve God.
Give then courage and strength to follow God's holy will.
Guide their uncertain steps, strengthen their resolutions, shield their chastity, fashion their minds, conquer their hearts and lead them to the vineyards where they will labour in God's holy service.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment