Sunday 11 September 2016

And the ground trembled ...

Yesterday, Saturday 10 September 2016,  just after 1.30pm local time I was reading quietly when I felt my chair tremble.  This lasted a few seconds.

Having consulted my good friend Google, I learnt that a magnitude 5.7 earthquake had struck near the town of Bukoba in the Karega region of Tanzania (those following my blog in Guernsey will recognise Kagera as the region where Dr. Sue Wilson, MBE is working with the Tumaini Fund, and Alister Carey is working with the Eleanor Foundation).

Bukoba is around 700km south of Nebbi (just north of Mahagi on the below map).  I also picked up messages from other volunteers with VMM who had also felt the quake in and around Eldoret in Kenya.

News reports overnight indicate that the quake has killed at least 13 people and injured 203.  Also a significant number of buildings in and around Bukoba have been destroyed or seriously damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment