Friday 7 October 2016

Feast of Notre Dame du Rosaire

Today (7 October 2016) is a special day for me.  It is the patronal feast of the church I have prayed in since my Dad first took me to church.  I made my First Holy Communion in Notre Dame du Rosaire Church in Burnt Lane, St. Peter Port, Guernsey in June 1968.  I was confirmed in the same church by the late Bishop Derek Worlock in July 1974.  My sister and my niece were married in the church.  As a family we gathered for the Requiem Masses for my niece and God daughter Francesca and for Mum.  Notre Dame du Rosaire (Our Lady of the Rosary) has interceded for me and my family for over 56 years. 

In all but one of the land marks of my life as a Catholic, Father Lecluze was there to support, to comfort and to encourage.  His devotion to the patron of his church was strong and he ensured that he conveyed the power of praying the Rosary to all. 

Canon Maurice Lecluze
1921 - 2003
So where does the Catholic tradition of praying the Rosary come from?  The feast of Our Lady of the Rosary was instituted to honour Mary for the Christian victory over the Turks at Lepanto on October 7, 1571. Pope St. Pius V and all Christians had prayed the Rosary for victory. The Rosary, or the Psalter of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is one of the best prayers to Mary, the Mother of God.
Pope Benedict XVI invites all families to pray the Rosary for the intentions of the Pope, the mission of the Church and peace. "It is as if every year Our Lady invited us to rediscover the beauty of this prayer, so simple and profound." The Rosary, a "contemplative and Christocentric prayer, inseparable from the meditation of Sacred Scripture," is "... the prayer of the Christian who advances in the pilgrimage of faith, in the following of Jesus, preceded by Mary," said the Pontiff. In modern times successive popes have urged the faithful to pray the Rosary. It is a form of contemplative prayer, mental and vocal prayer, which brings down God’s blessing on the Church. It is a biblically inspired prayer which is centred on meditation on the salvific mysteries of Christ in union with Mary, who was so closely associated with her Son in his redeeming activity.

I recall one occasion when, whilst on holiday in Egypt, having climbed Mount Saini in the dark, I was drinking a very welcome mug of coffee when I herd a group of South Korean tourists start to pray. The sun was just starting to rise and the landscape was bathed in a deep red glow.  Listening to their prayers, I realised they were praying the Rosary.  I did not understand what they were saying nor did I see any Rosary beads in their hands, but the mantra of the Rosary was unmistakable.

Today, although separated from my home and Notre Dame du Rosaire by many miles, I shall be closely united through the Rosary.  The Rosary provides a complete meditation on the Gospels and  today, as in 1571, prayer is our greatest weapon against terrorists and extremists who claim to be acting in the name of a particular religious group.  A renewed devotion to the Rosary will bring peace and safety for all,

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Your Mercy. Amen
 
Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy!
Hail our life, our sweetness, and our hope!
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve;
To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley, of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us;
And after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus;
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary
Pray for us who have recourse to you,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment